Important Foods that Reduce Cholesterol? – Health Tips
Posted on 17 August, 2017 147 Views
Eating foods that contain any cholesterol above 0 mg is unhealthy.
Collin Campbell, PhD, the author of The China Study
Cholesterol is a health-promoting substance. There are two types of cholesterol- LDL(Low-density lipoprotein) and HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein). LDL and HDL are fats combined with proteins.HDL is known as “good cholesterol” while LDL is known as “bad cholesterol” depending on their impact on human body. Maintaining the cholesterol level is necessary. Let us go to the deep discussion regarding Important Foods that Reduce Cholesterol.
You can eat food with high cholesterol level. At the same time, it is also true that changing the diet plan with lower cholesterol food can reduce the cholesterol level effectively. Changing the foods that reduce cholesterol will lower your cholesterol level and improve the armada of fats floating through your bloodstream.
To reduce the cholesterol level, you may follow two strategies – either take foods that reduce cholesterol or avoid meals that increase cholesterol level. The writing focuses the information about the foods that reduce cholesterol.
How the foods that reduce Cholesterol works?:
For reducing cholesterol, different foods work differently.
- Producing soluble fiber: Some food delivers soluble fiber that binds cholesterol and its precursors in the digestive system and drags them out of the body before they get into circulation.
- Creating Polyunsaturated fats: Some food produce polyunsaturated fats that directly lower LDL.
- By blocking the body to absorb cholesterol: Similarly, some foods contain plant sterols and stanols, which block the body from absorbing cholesterol.
The following foods will help you to reduce the cholesterol level of your body.
Producing Soluble Fiber:
- Oats: If you want to reduce your cholesterol level quickly, starts eating oats. Try a bowl of oatmeal or cold oat-based cereal like Cheerios for your breakfast. Oats reduce cholesterol by producing soluble fiber. Oats contain soluble fiber named beta-glucan that absorbs LDL. One bowl of oatmeal produces 1 to 2 grams of soluble fiber. You can increase the amount of soluble fiber by including banana or strawberry with oats. The present research reveals that a human need 20 to 35 grams fiber per day in where at least 10 to 15 grams soluble fiber is needed.
- Barley and other whole grains: Like oats and oat bran, barley also contains beta-gulcan soluble fiber that reduces the level of cholesterol. The foods like whole grain and Barley help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Beans are rich in soluble fiber. From the very variation of beans, choose the food that you like. You may try navy and kidney beans to lentils, garbanzos, black-eyed peas, and beyond. Prepare your favorite beans and be ready to reduce cholesterol. As they take the time to digest, beans are also a popular food for weight loss. After taking the bean, you will feel full for a long period.
- Eggplant and okra: Eggplant and okra are the best foods that reduce cholesterol. These are good sources of soluble fiber. These two low-calorie vegetables are also used in weight –loss program as the veggies contain low –calories.
- Apples, grapes, strawberries, citrus fruits: Apple, grapes, strawberries, citrus fruits like orange, lime, lemon, tangor, Buddha’s hand, Citron, Clementine, Grapefruit, kinnow, Mandarin orange, etc. fruits are rich in pectin, a type of soluble fiber that lowers LDL.
- Fiber supplements.Taking supplements is a powerful way to get soluble fiber. Two teaspoons of psyllium in a day can give you 4 grams of soluble fiber. Psyllium can be found in Metamucil and other bulk-forming laxatives. However, before taking the supplement, consult with your doctor.
Foods that directly reduce Cholesterol:
- Nuts: Researchers found that different nuts like almonds, walnuts, peanuts, help to reduce cholesterol level. As a result, the nuts are good for heart disease. Studies reveal that consuming 30 to 35-gram nuts (a handful) every day can lower the cholesterol level by an average of 5%.
- Vegetable oils: Vegetable oil is another magic food that reduces cholesterol. Use Vegetable oils like canola, sunflower, safflower, soybean oil, olive oil, etc. instead of butter, Ghee or lard.
- Soya: Taking soybeans and foods made from soya bean, like tofu and soy milk helps to reduce cholesterol. Eating 25 grams of soy protein a day (10 ounces of tofu or 2 1/2 cups of soy milk) can lower LDL by 5% to 6%.
- Red Wine: Research has shown that drinking red wine can reduce cholesterol. Red wine is produced from the grape that contains high-fiber varietals like Tempranillo and Rioja. Both Tempranillo and Rioja remarkably lower the cholesterol level. The research done by the Department of Metabolism and Nutrition at Universidad Complutense de Madrid in Spain shows that when a person took the same grape supplement found in red wine, their LDL levels decreased by 9%. The study also presents that the people who have higher cholesterol level can reduce the LDL 12% by drinking a glass of red wine.
- Tea: Tea is a popular drink for fighting against cancer. Tea is rich in antioxidants that fight against cancer. Researchers of USDA postulates that tea is helpful for coronary heart disease as the black tea reduce the lipids up to 10% in 3 weeks. Tea also decreases cholesterol level.
- Salmon, Sardines and other fatty fishes: Research done by Loma Linda University found that fatty fishes like Salmon, sardines, herring, contain Omega-3 fatty acid that can produce good cholesterol as much as 4%. Omega -3 also reduces LDL and triglycerides in the bloodstream. It also protects the heart by preventing the onset of abnormal heart rhythms.
- Garlic: Garlic also decreases the level of cholesterol. It prevents blood clot, blood pressure, and fights against infection. Studies found that garlic helps to stop artery-clogging plaque at the early stages by keeping cholesterol particles from sticking to artery walls. It is suggested to take 2 to 4 fresh cloves a day.
- Avocado: Avocado contains heart –healthy MUFAs that helps to raise HDL cholesterol while helps to reduce LDL cholesterol.
Sterols and stanols contained food:
- Foods fortified with Sterols and Stanols: The foods that are fortified with sterols and stanols can lower the level of cholesterol. The sterols and stanols block the body to absorb Cholesterol. These substances can be extracted from plant gums and should be taken according to the body needs. Plant sterols and stanols can be naturally found in vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Juice and drink companies are adding the substance to their drink. You can take supplement also. Research shows that consuming 5-2.4g plant sterols or stanols every day reduces cholesterol by 7-10% over 2-3 weeks.
- Margarine: Margarine, Yogurt and milk products enriched with plant sterols help to reduce cholesterol. Margarine is rich with natural sterols named phytosterols that can reduce cholesterol level. Margarine can lower cholesterol up to 10% if regularly taken for three weeks or more.
Finally, it can be said that anyone who wants to lower her cholesterol should take foods that reduce cholesterol. As a result, they will be able to control the cholesterol level naturally.